- It’s faster to process email in batches rather than checking in 30 times/day.
- Humans cannot multi-task, they just complete both tasks slower, and with lower quality. (Texting and driving, meetings and email)
- The best ideas, new ideas, come in a flash when you’re not working.
- You are most productive when you’re “in the zone,” a contiguous period of focus, without interruption by human or computer. (E.g. “I have to work from home today so I can actually get something done.”)
- You are happier and more productive (both!) when you’ve had enough sleep.
- You are happier and more productive (both!) when you get regular exercise.
- You are happier and more productive (both!) when you spend time in quiet contemplation (e.g. meditation).
One task at a time. Don’t allow arbitrary people on email and twitter dictate your attention or use of time, because they’ll demand it all. Be mindful of the present moment. Use regular downtime and rest to stay healthy and happy.